Nearly 700 people attend King celebration
Nearly 700 people attended the Palm Beach State College 21st Annual Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Celebration Jan. 16 with keynote speaker Paula Williams Madison.
The former NBCUniversal executive who currently is chairman and CEO of Madison Media Management LLC and founding partner with The Group LLC, spoke for about 30 minutes, telling the crowd about her life as the daughter of immigrant parents from Kingston, Jamaica who had come to the United States to pursue the America dream that King envisioned.
The celebration was held in the Duncan Theatre on the Lake Worth campus. During the event, the College recognized the recipients of its 2020 Martin Luther King, Jr. Leadership Awards, who were chosen after a nomination process for their service and initiatives to improve the lives of individuals in Palm Beach County.
The 2020 honorees are:
- Denise Cotman Albritton (Alumni), president and CFO of Business One LLC, a charter bus company established in 2010 in Palm Beach County, who has given back to the community through her leadership, sponsorship and service.
- Rocio Montero-Mask (Student), former Lake Worth campus Student Government Association president, who received her Associate in Arts degree from PBSC in fall 2019. She has volunteered her time leading an arts and crafts group for special needs adults through ARC Palm Beach County and has donated time to other causes and groups.
- Dr. Sankaranarayana Chandramohan (known as Dr. Chandra) (Faculty/Staff), professor of Anatomy and Physiology and a leading proponent of textbook and college affordability, who created STEM outreach programs for the community.
- Frank Hayden (Individual), director of the West Palm Beach Office of Equal Opportunity, who has spent his entire professional career creating opportunities for people who sought an equal chance to compete in business.
- Youth Speak Out International (Organization), a nonprofit organization dedicated to giving children and youth a voice through collaborative media production.